Ashburnham residents receive the annual Town Census forms in the mail in January every year. Residents are urged to check the information contained on the form, make the necessary changes, sign and return it to the Town Clerk’s Office using the enclosed envelope as soon as possible. The information should be current as of January 1st. Please sign and return your census form even though you may not have any changes or if you will be moving after January 1st.
If you have not received a census form or have moved into town after January you should contact the Town Clerk’s Office at 978-827-4100, Ext. 114, or click here to download a blank form.
Below are a few of the reasons why it is so important to return the census forms:
- It is the law.
- It is used to create the annual street list.
- It is used to assist public safety officials and emergency responders.
- It is used to apply for grants.
- It is used to assist the Town and State in calculating state and federal aid.
- It is used to project future school enrollment and costs.
- It is used to create the voter list-if you are a voter and do not respond, you will be made inactive on the voting list.
- It serves as proof of residency which residents need to qualify for veteran’s benefits and in-state tuition at state schools.
- Failure of residents to return their census could lead to the states losing a representative in Congress as well as Federal funds.